Frequently Asked Questions about Carriage Horses
- Does this horse like his job?Carriage horses are bred to work in harness In fact, the exercise keeps him healthy. Horses recognize, respond to and develop an affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?No, because he wears protective shoes.
- May I pet the horse?Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- How much weight can a horse pull?A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight, however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity.
- What is the average life expectancy of a horse?Twenty-five to 30 years. Horses have been known to live well into their 40s.
- Is it normal for a horse to sweat?Yes. It is a natural cooling process, just as it is with people.
- How do horses rest?Horses usually sleep standing up, often with one hind foot cocked.
- How often do you feed the horse?A horse consumes two or three meals of hay/grain per day.
- Click Here for The Truth About Carriage Horses: Myths and Facts